The queen of all cities. The city that captured the fancies of generations upon generations of kings. The bright, the colourful, the multicultural & multilingual metropolis. Dilwaalon ki Dilli. One of the most misunderstood, overburdened and abused cities, Delhi continues to shower her love upon and support the millions depending upon it. Delhi recently celebrated her centenary as the capital of India, and continues to be the pride of the country. Here, I present Delhi as seen from the eyes of a person deeply in love with the city, showcasing all the lovely quirks that make Delhi, Delhi.

Tuesday 10 January 2012

On The Road

I spend an average of 100 minutes each day driving. That's 3000 minutes a month, 36500 a year. In other words, I spend a little over 25 days each year driving. One of the seemingly insane sacrifices all Delhiites make is this, spending inordinate amounts of time on the road.

But one must try to analyze this in a new light. Driving in Delhi is not a laid-back chore, not even a boring one. In fact, it is full of strenuous activity. Not only does it help in building foot muscles as a result of manipulating the pedals a thousand times per traffic jam, it also provides the vocal chords several opportunities for exercise. Swearing at other drivers on the road is an activity Delhiites derive extreme pleasure from, whether the mistake was theirs or anothers, is immaterial. A helpful tip: swear away to your heart's content, but ensure your windows are rolled up, lest you find yourself embroiled in a roadside brawl. Such things are not uncommon in the city and do not usually end well.
Another opportunity this endless driving in the city provides drivers, especially solitary commuters, is that of some time to be alone with one's thoughts. With today's rapid pace of life and intense schedules, people are able to find very little time to be with themselves. Commuting by road allows people to indulge this activity, providing several minutes when one is free to dream, plan, introspect and observe.

Each day I observe a homeless man sleeping under the meagre shelter provided by the overhang of a flyover. Matted hair, torn rags for clothes, defeated eyes. Each morning as I slide into my car, I dream of getting a better one. Each day when I cross that man, I try to imagine what he dreams of. Perhaps a hot meal, or maybe a bed. I saw him today too, while I was cosy in my heated car, he was sitting on the sidewalk, nibbling at a piece of bread in the biting cold. One day last week, I couldn't spot him on his usual stretch of pavement, and assumed the worst. I was hugely relieved when I saw him again the next day. I guess I've developed some sort of connection with the man without once talking with him, if such a thing is possible.
There are a lot of peculiar things to observe on Delhi's roads, ranging from monkeys clambering on rooftops, women scolding their husbands, to cows ruminating in the middle of the street, impenetrable january fog and typically delhi-esque; a crater bang in the center of the road after a single winter shower. If you're driving anywhere in the world, especially in Delhi, control your anger, calm your nerves and take the opportunity to observe and enjoy the mariad sights the roads have to offer.
Only In Delhi.

2 comments:

  1. you should become a writer man.....thoroughly enjoyed reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll think about it..lol
      Keep re-visiting!

      Delete